Urban Planning Department
The major function of Urban Planning Department is as follows:
- Ward Based GIS Mapping
- No objection Certificate of Multi-storied (10+ storied) Building
- Management of On-Street Car Parking.
- Road naming and Name Plate Setup.
- Represent DNCC in National Exhibition.
- Site Development Scheme includes Development of Sites or Erect / Re-Erect of a Building or Any Plot of Land covered by master plan.
- Master Plan of City Beautification.
- Publish DNCC Yearly Report
- Identify of risky building
- Contingency plan for Earthquake risk reduction.
1.2 Provision of Town Planning in the Local Government (City Corporation) Act-2009
As per Local Govt. (City Corporation) Act-2009, DNCC can perform following activities related to Town Planning:
1.2.1 Master Plan: The Corporation may, and if so required by the Government shall, draw up a master plan for the city, which shall, among other matters, provide for –
- a survey of the city including its history , statistics, public services and other prescribed particulars;
- development, expansion and improvement of any area within the city;
- restrictions, regulations and prohibitions to be imposed with regard to the development of sites, and the erection and re-erection of building within the city.
1.2.2 Site Development Schemes:
- Site Development Scheme includes development of sites or erect / re-erect of a building or any plot of land covered by master plan.
- Site Development Scheme may provide for:
- the division of the site into plots.
- the streets, drains and open spaces to be provided;
- the land to be reserved for public purposes and to be transferred to the corporation;
- the land to be acquired by the corporation;
- the price of plots;
- the works that shall be executed at the cost of the owner or owners of the site or sites and
- the period during which the area shall be developed.
1.2.3 Regulation of Buildings (Building Control)
- If any building, or anything fixed thereon, be deemed by the Corporation to be in a ruinous state or likely to fall or in any way dangerous to any inhabitant of such building or of any neighboring building or to any occupier thereof or to passers-by, the Corporation may by notice require the owner or occupier of such building to take such acting in regard to the building as may be specified in the notice, and if there is default, the Corporation may take the necessary steps itself and the cost incurred thereon by the Corporation shall be deemed to be tax levied on the owner or occupier of the building under this Ordinance.
- If a building is in a dangerous condition, or otherwise unfit for human habitation, the Corporation may prohibit the occupation of such building till it has been suitably repaired to the satisfaction of the Corporation.
1.3 No objection Certificate of Multi-storied (10+ storied) Building/Large Project
Dhaka North City Corporation has issued no objection certificate for construction of Multi-storied (10+ storied) Building due to environmental clearance of DOE (Department of Environment).
1.3.1 How to apply?
- Applicants should apply in a prescribed Application Form available at Urban Planning Department, at a cost of 250/- Taka which have to be paid through bank Challan. Same form is also available at this site for Download. In case, downloaded form is used – the application form must accompany Payment Challan (receipt) of Taka 250/- paid at the Bank, Branch during the time of submission of the application. Otherwise, the Application will not be received.
1.3.2 Supporting Document
Application must accompany following documents:
- Up-to-date Holding Tax Payment Certificate.
- Lay out Plan of the proposed building.
- Parking Plan with number of cars.
- Location and Cross Section of Internal Dustbin in the Ground Floor with of proposed Building Plan and location of DCC’s nearest Dustbin / Container with distance from the site.
- An undertaking latter from the legal owner of the proposed building regarding safe places for storing building construction materials.
1.3.3 Approval Procedure
- Once receipt of the completed application form along with necessary documents concerned officials of Urban Planning Department inspects the proposed site and prepares an inspection report which is submitted to the Chief Town Planner through Town Planner /Geographer with necessary comments. If the proposed site is in accordance with the DNCC’s set guidelines, DNCC usually gives permission within 10 working days from the date of receipt of application
1.4 Ward Based GIS Mapping
Geographic Information System (GIS) is a fast emerging technology and keeping pace with advances made by DNCC in other fronts. It embarked upon an ambitious plan to enable the easy archival, retrieval and analysis of data pertaining to its various departments in the corporation. Steps have been taken to make data base in the various networking of the roads, foot path, drainage, traffic town planning, land and estate, holding with land use, no of floors electricity line, water supply lines, telecom lines, slum Solid waste management facilities etc. with the associate attribute information on the length and width, area as will as various spatial and non-spatial data analysis of them. The ward map contains base map, road network map, holding distribution map, land use map. Preparation of Ward Based GIS Mapping was undertaken in 1998-99 on a pilot basis with its own limited revenue sources. All wards (36) of DNCC have already been completed. (Picture-Part of Ward-01, DNCC).
1.5 How to collect GIS map
Any citizen can collect a Ward/DNCC Map (A1 size) from Urban Planning Department on payment 200/-taka by chalan in the respective Bank.
Engr. Anwar Hossain Patwary
Chief Town Planner
64, Kamal Ataturk avenue,
1st Floor, Banani Community Centre, Banani,